There’s going to come a time when you’re by yourself, when those external sources aren’t enough, when you need to be there for yourself. And self-compassion enables you to be there for yourself in any moment.
Combating your inner critic while overcoming pornography can be tough. That’s why Creed and Crishelle talked with Anthony Ennis this week on learning to love yourself so you can feel empowered to make the changes that lead to recovery.
In this episode:
- Self compassion is learning to treat yourself like your own best friend.
- Acknowledge that what you are going through is not easy to truly experience self compassion.
- Be emotionally there for yourself so you can see lifestyle holes you might be trying to fill with pornography.
- Learn to address the emotions you are feeling so you can make good decisions and move forward in recovery.
- Overcoming is not easy; it takes a lot of mental work and practice.
- You have to be strong for yourself when no one else is around to break the habit.
While studying neuroscience at BYU, Anthony Enniss worked with Dr. Scott Steffensen researching addiction and mental health problems. He is currently in the process of getting into medical school. The topic of pornography use hits close to home for him and he is looking forward to sharing a principle that has made all the difference for him.
Self Compassion Test by Kristin Neff
Disclaimer: The views expressed by guests do not necessarily represent our views. We offer this information in good faith, but we don’t make any representation that what you hear is accurate, reliable, or complete. Reach 10 and the Breaking the Silence podcast are not responsible or liable for your use of any information heard in this podcast.
Send us your anonymous stories, questions, and comments!
We’d love to hear from you! Do you have a story we could share? What questions could we could answer on the podcast? This button takes you to an anonymous survey where you can submit those without sharing your name or email.
Subscribe to Breaking the Silence in your favorite podcast app and you’ll never miss an episode!
Reviews matter! Just click here, then click “Listen on Apple Podcasts”.
- If you’re using iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review”.
- If you’re using the Apple Podcasts app,
- scroll down to Ratings & Reviews,
- tap on ‘Write a Review,’
- create a headline and write your review,
- tap the number of stars you want to give, and
- click ‘Send.’ You can edit your review after sending.
Reach 10 is a 501(c)3 nonprofit. You can help keep Breaking the Silence going by donating to support the podcast here.